To increase awareness of DMD and best-practice care amongst medical professionals worldwide, CARE-NMD is pleased to highlight and make available various resources aimed at this audience. These include training slides, academic articles, and the DMD Family Guide
The Lancet Neurology article
These Standards of Care represent the current international consensus on best-practice care for DMD. They were published in The Lancet Neurology in 2010.
Read additional information about the care guidelines. For those without specialist neuromuscular training, the DMD Family Guide (available in 22 languages) is a good introduction to best-practice DMD care.
CARE-NMD has produced a DMD training toolkit for the benefit the neuromuscular community and wider public.
The toolkit consists of a series of 10 slide sets which cover essential information about DMD, structured into key domains of care. All information has been taken from the Standards of Care article.
Alternatively, download each slideset separately:
- 1 - Guide to Use, including Terms & Conditions of Use (.pdf)
- 2 - Diagnosis (.ppt)
- 3 - Neuromuscular Management (.ppt)
- 4 - Rehabilitation Management (.ppt)
- 5 - Orthopaedic Management (.ppt)
- 6 - Pulmonary Management (.ppt)
- 7 - Cardiac Management (.ppt)
- 8 - Gastrointestinal Management (.ppt)
- 9 - Psychosocial Management (.ppt)
- 10 - Considerations for Surgery (.ppt)
- 11 - Emergency Care Considerations (.ppt)
This toolkit is primarily aimed at two audiences:
- Specialists with good understanding of DMD/neuromuscular conditions, who are involved in the training of other medical professionals.
- Non-specialists who wish to gain an introduction to DMD care.
We hope to make additional resources to support the slides (e.g. videos and pictures to support the slides) available over the course of the project.
You are welcome to use these materials in your own training sessions, and adapt them to your specific needs in line with the permissions notice below.
Permission is hereby granted to reuse, adapt and further disseminate these materials provided such adaptations are in line with the guidance contained in the original article The diagnosis and management of Duchenne muscular dystrophy (K Bushby et al, 2010) and that acknowledgement is provided to the original article. This Permissions Notice must be included with any further redistribution of these materials.
Furthermore, none of the organisations involved in the development or dissemination of any material contained in the toolkit take any responsibility for any adaptation or reuse, unless explicit written endorsement of such adaptation/reuse is provided.